modular -> monolithic

Igor Mozolevsky igor at hybrid-lab.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 14:13:13 PST 2008

On 22/01/2008, Alan W. Irwin <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:

> Today's amateur builder is an immediately important addition to your testing
> pool and a potential X developer for tomorrow so you piss those guys off at
> your peril.  So as top priority do what you have to do to make it
> straightforward (notice I didn't say easy) to build X _again_.

It is easy to build!.. I really don't see why people are struggling so
much with it! Here: it took me a couple of hours to write a script
that goes through the categories building each package based on these:

cats="proto doc util lib_stage_1 data_stage_1 lib_stage_2 xcb app
data_stage_2 xserver driver font"

phony_cats="xcb"

doc_order="xorg-sgml-doctools xorg-docs"
lib_stage_1_order="xtrans libpthread-stubs libpciaccess libXau
libXdmcp libxcb libX11 libXext drm libAppleWM libWindowsWM libdmx
libfontenc libFS libICE liblbxutil liboldX libSM libXt libXmu libXpm
libXp libXaw libXfixes libXcomposite libXrender libXdamage libXcursor
libXevie libXfont libXfontcache libXft libXi libXinerama libxkbfile
libxkbui libXprintUtil libXprintAppUtil libXrandr libXres
libXScrnSaver libXTrap libXtst libXv libXvMC libXxf86dga libXxf86misc
libXxf86vm pixman mesa"

data_stage_1_order="xbitmaps"

lib_stage_2_order="motif"

app_order="appres bdftopcf beforelight bitmap editres fonttosfnt
fslsfonts fstobdf iceauth ico lbxproxy listres luit mkcomposecache
mkfontdir mkfontscale oclock proxymngr rendercheck rgb rstart scripts
sessreg setxkbmap showfont smproxy twm viewres x11perf xauth
xbacklight xbiff xcalc xclipboard xclock xcmsdb xconsole xcursorgen
xdbedizzy xditview xdm xdpyinfo xdriinfo xedit xev xeyes xf86dga xfd
xfindproxy xfontsel xfs xfsinfo xfwp xgamma xgc xhost xinit xkbcomp
xkbevd xkbprint xkbutils xkill xload xlogo xlsatoms xlsclients
xlsfonts xmag xman xmessage xmh xmodmap xmore xplsprinters xpr
xprehashprinterlist xprop xrandr xrdb xrefresh xrx xset xsetmode
xsetpointer xsetroot xsm xstdcmap xtrap xvidtune xvinfo xwd xwininfo
xwud"

data_stage_2_order="xcursor-themes xkbdata"

font_order="encodings font-util font-adobe-100dpi font-adobe-75dpi
font-adobe-utopia-100dpi font-adobe-utopia-75dpi
font-adobe-utopia-type1 font-alias font-arabic-misc font-bh-100dpi
font-bh-75dpi font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi
font-bh-lucidatypewriter-75dpi font-bh-ttf font-bh-type1
font-bitstream-100dpi font-bitstream-75dpi font-bitstream-speedo
font-bitstream-type1 font-cronyx-cyrillic font-cursor-misc
font-daewoo-misc font-dec-misc font-ibm-type1 font-isas-misc
font-jis-misc font-micro-misc font-misc-cyrillic font-misc-ethiopic
font-misc-meltho font-misc-misc font-mutt-misc font-schumacher-misc
font-screen-cyrillic font-sony-misc font-sun-misc font-util
font-winitzki-cyrillic font-xfree86-type1"

driver_order="xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse xf86-video-intel
xf86-video-nv xf86-video-savage xf86-video-ati"

xcb_order="util"

# app_ignore="xphelloworld"

proto_ignore="applewmproto windowswmproto"
lib_stage_1_ignore="libAppleWM libWindowsWM"
app_ignore="mkcfm compiz"
driver_ignore="xf86-video-nv xf86-video-intel xf86-video-savage"
#xf86-video-nv

lib_stage_1_override="mesa drm"
lib_stage_2_override="motif"

xcb_override="util"

override_lib_stage_1_mesa_function="build_mesa"
override_lib_stage_1_drm_function="build_drm"
override_lib_stage_2_motif_function="build_motif"
override_xcb_util_function="build_xcb_util"

I would happily post the whole script if people want me to but I will
need need to untie it from site specific build script...

Igor :-/