modular -> monolithic

Benjamin Close Benjamin.Close at clearchain.com
Wed Jan 23 21:40:36 PST 2008

Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Sunday 20 January 2008 14:20:34 Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>
>> To summarize, it seems there's interest in merging the
>> drivers back into the server tree.
>>

> So here's my simple proposal on how to do it.
>
> I've used git submodule to create a complete graphics stack superproject which
> basically takes all the modular parts and creates a monolithic tree out of
> them.
>
> One can check it out with:
> git clone git://people.freedesktop.org/~zack/seken
> (you'll notice the directories are empty so do:)
> git submodule init
> git submodule update
> <snip>

Hi Zack,
    Nice work. The one issue I see is that what ever script we put in
the super module, will still have to first git pull master for each
repo. This is because 'git-submodule update' uses the gitmodule file to
checkout  the exact commit, and not the tip of a branch. ie from the git
user doc:

"One major difference between |git submodule update| and |git submodule
add| is that |git submodule update| checks out a specific commit, rather
than the tip of a branch. It's like checking out a tag: the head is
detached, so you're not working on a branch."

We could use hooks in the fd.o xorg repos to make it automatically
update the supermodule. This also solves the issue of a timeline for
commits across all repos. Ie: we get a global changelog for the project
for free.

Cheers,
    Benjamin