Display of Intel G35/X3500 via HDMI on HDTV is shifted to the left

Arjen van der Meijden acmmailing at tweakers.net
Thu Jan 24 08:57:01 PST 2008

Hi list,

I have a Asus P5E-VM-HDMI mainboard with Intel G35 chipset. I've a
Toshiba  37Z3030 (fullhd) TV connected to it using the HDMI-output.

Although it more or less works, the image displayed on the TV is shifted
about 35 pixels to the left and 15 pixels to the top (i.e. the upper
left corner of the image is behind the upper left corner of the bezel of
the screen) and on right and bottom side I have blank pixels.

This happens with Ubuntu Linux 710 Gutsy (Xorg-core 1.3 and intel driver
2.1.1), the current Hardy version (Intel 2.2.0+git20080107 and Xorg
1.4.1~git20080118) and today's git-checkout of the Intel driver with
Hardy's Xorg. And using 32bits or 64bits didn't matter, although
currently I'm using 32bits.

I have currently no modelines or resolution configurations in my
xorg.conf, nor did specifying any help. I couldn't really find earlier
mail in the archive about this issue, except for some remarks that it
was supposedly fixed in 2.2.0/1.4.0.

As a sidenote I can't seem to get the screen working with 1920x1080 at
60Hz, X only detects 1920x1080 at 0Hz (and 720x576 and 640x480) and
refuses to operate with any other modeline. The detected frequencies
seem to indicate it operates at 50Hz.

In windows I was able to select 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 Hz for 1920x1080
and the image is correctly positioned on the display.

Best regards,

Arjen