stripping off "xf86-*-" from drivers

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Fri Jan 25 03:06:58 PST 2008

On Jan 25, 08 08:31:33 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > That said, I find your approach actually reasonable - most times you
> > have to package all 3 of them anyway, because they aren't completely
> > backwards/forward compatible.
>
> I hope not, if anyone finds backwards incompatibilties in the kernel
> drm as shipped from Linus please let me know,

I guess you do, and I don't remember exactly what the issue was the last
time (quite some time ago). But typically you want to package all three
anyways, because support for new chipsets is the most interesting thing,
and that needs support on all three edges.

> So I'm a distro with 4 separate incompatible releases of the core drm
> from intel, nouveau, radeon and mga drivers? how do I package that and
> allow cards to run at the same time?

Running multiple cards from different vendors opens a whole can of
worms, AFAIK we do not support these scenarios. Nevertheless, packaging
different core drm modules would be a nightmare.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          mat at mshopf.de