Smallest lock for X?

Ed Schouten ed at fxq.nl
Fri Jan 25 03:13:50 PST 2008

* Jeremy C. Reed <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:
> How to take over the X so can't escape it?
>
> I am looking for the smallest X lock implementation. xlockmore without GL,
> TrueType, gtk, and XPM pixmaps is still over 1.2 MB. I don't want all its
> features.  I just want to disable typing and pointer for any other X
> clients until I authenticate for a "lock".
>
> I have started looking at xlockmore code, but haven't found how it takes
> over the X yet.
>
> Any suggestions?

I'm not a die-hard X11 hacker, but I guess that when you just draw a
full-screen appliation while calling XGrabServer(), you can already
implement something like that. But that's evil, I guess, because then
you don't offer graphical applications to flush their work to the
display, which will cause them to stall.
--
 Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/