Questions about Intel xorg driver

Randolph Chung randolph at tausq.org
Fri Jan 25 10:44:28 PST 2008

As a followup,

> > > 1) Textured xvideo
> > It is on my 915.  Could you post your Xorg log?  You're looking for
> > entries like (or more likely reasons why not):
> >
> > (II) intel(0): Set up textured video
> > (II) intel(0): Set up overlay video
>
> Attached. It only gives:
> (II) intel(0): Set up overlay video

This turns out to be a Ubuntu (Debian?) packaging patch which disabled
textured video on many 9xx chips. I removed the patch and can get
textured video enabled in X, but if i try to use it to play video, i
get:
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  141 (XVideo)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  84

James mentioned (on IRC) that on his setup, using textured video uses a
lot of memory to the point that his system started swapping heavily.

Is this a known problem on i915/945?

randolph