Enable black borders on widescreen display

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Mon Jan 28 12:06:08 PST 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:28:26 -0200 "Ademar de Souza Reis Jr."
<ademar at mandriva.com.br> wrote:

> > Any idea if it's possible to center the usable area? Or will I
> > have to mess with my TV config to center it?
>
> I played with the fields next to the horiz/vert number of lines
> and managed to make it work as desired, but I must confess I have
> no idea of what I did, it just worked.

The easiest way to center your image is to use xvidtune. If that doesn't
work (e.g. in multihead setup), just increase/decrease the 2nd and 3rd
number (horizontal centering) or the 6th and 7th number (vertical
centering). Take to keep the distance between the 2 values constant (i.e.
always increment/decrement both simultaneously). Furthermore the
horizontal values need to be incremented/decremented in steps of 4 or 8
AFAIK.

> I think it's time to read something about how modelines work :-)

Yes. Although the manpage says that it shouldn't be necessary anymore to
write your own modelines, I have had to do so for every single X
installation I've done so far.

MSB

--
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.