Key down w/o Key up

ruitao.dong at gmail.com ruitao.dong at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 16:11:29 PST 2008

I know this is a developer list, and this is more a user question.  I
apologized for that. I have done my RTFM, but I couldn't solve my
problem.

I have been using a wireless (IR) keyboard on my HTPC and I've programed
some of the keys (arrow, return etc) on my IR remote to emulate the
keyboard.  I programed it to send only the key down signal w/o the
corresponding key up signal.

It worked fine in MythDora 2.32 (Linux 2.6.16, Xorg 6.8.2).  I just move
to MythBuntu 7.10 (Linux 2.6.22, Xorg 1.3.0) and the remote doesn't work
reliably anymore (although the keyboard works fine).  The key sometime
keeps repeating even after I turn off autorepeat (xset -r), and then it
went dead, ie, stop getting key event in xev after a while.  The XServer
will recover if I hit a key on the real keyboard (I assume that when it
finally receive a key up event).

The right solution would be to program key down and then key up on the
remote (JP1, which is the interface on the remote), but I'm not sure if
it is possible given the number of keys I need to program.

It seems to me that somehow the missing key up was OK with older
kernel/Xorg, but not alway OK with newer kernel/Xorg.  I haven't hacked
X in years, I'm a little bit fuzzy about where is dividing line between
kernel and XServer in kbd handling.

I am not sure where to dig further and hope someone on the list can give
me a hint.

Many TIA

        ruitao.dong at gmail.com