synaptics touchpad. reconnect not supported

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Jul 1 19:11:02 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 11:14:53PM +0200, Nicolò Chieffo wrote:
> Thank you very much for the attachment. I will test it.
>
> I cannot understand where is the problem. Is it a kernel problem?
> because the input device should be connected to the same dev file?
> Or anything else?

this isn't really related to the kernel. what happens is that the device gets
a read error and the synaptics driver shuts down (IIRC). when the new device
is created by the kernel, HAL sends a message to the X server that the new
device is available. By default this device is then added with the evdev
driver, because that is what the default fdi file states and hence what HAL
tells X to do.

so even if it is the same device file every time, evdev wins. Unless you
change your settings to add different drivers (see Steven's email).

Cheers,
  Peter