Further notes on 7.4

Wed Jul 2 08:54:25 PDT 2008

Rémi Cardona wrote:
> Is there anyone out there on "recent" systems that doesn't use Xorg
> libraries? I mean, even OSX ships Xorg Xlib (with .pc files). I'm not
> sure about Solaris, with their Xsun server, if it had its own
> implementation of the client-side libs... has this changed with recent
> Solaris versions?

Solaris always used sources based on the X11 releases - while our X client
libraries are mostly based on X11R6.4/6.6 in Solaris 8, 9, & 10, we're in
the process of replacing them all with the current X11R7.x versions for
OpenSolaris and the next release of Solaris.

So for us, like for most Linux/BSD distros, you can count on pkg-config if
you ride the cutting edge, but still need to handle other methods of finding
X libraries on older/stable/enterprise/long-term-supported, but still widely
used versions.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com