cursor handling and updates inside DRM

Jakob Bornecrantz jakob at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Jul 10 06:28:48 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Tiago Vignatti <vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br>
wrote:

> Daniel Stone escreveu:
> > On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 04:05:57AM -0300, Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> >> - transform relative motion into absolute
> >> - takes care the cursor limits
> >> - responsible for the acceleration computation
> >> - responsible for the input transformation as well?
> >> - touch the gfx registers.
> >
> > Hang on, are we actually putting all this in the kernel?
>
> Yes, Daniel. This was my first thought.
>
> Now I'm trying to discuss with you how we can distribute this things
> between X, drm and kernel.

The only thing that should be in the kernel is the:
 - touch the gfx registers.
and in some regards
 - takes care of the cursor limits.

Anything else is the client responsibility. The coordinates that we
feed the kernel will be relative to the crtc and in pixels of scanout
buffer. We do not have a 2D/3D acceleration API in the kernel.
Nor should we have a mouse position calculation API in the
kernel either.

Cursor is in the kernel because in the new world of kernel
modesetting you don't map registers to userspace you talk to
them via the kernel.

I am a bit divided if any of the above have a place in the DRM
userspace library.

Cheers Jakob.