xserver build failling AFTER it works ??

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sat Jul 12 16:50:29 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 05:27:18PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> it seems that, after it's built everything via the build.sh you so nicely
> supply, the xserver build popr an error saying that make doesn't know how to
> build ChangeLog.  I then try to build it lcoally in the xserver build (something
> that normally works for testing) and the build simply completes normally.
> That's obviously a problem of imprtance only later, after everything else works,
> but it means that xserver never gets to the installation, unless I do that
> manually afterwards, when it works fine.

Hmm, interesting.  Could I please get the output of make -d -v ChangeLog?

> You folks REALLY need a top level Makefile, one that manipulates the autogen
> stuff, all that, correctly.  If anyone wanted that, I'm really rather good at
> it.  Would you like something like that?  I'd need some questions answered ...

That's what build.sh is.  If this is insufficient for your needs, we'd
happily point to your alternate version. :)

> Far as that goes, I still can't get the docs built, I don't know what tools to
> use, or after that, the commandline to build them.  I *really* wish you folks
> had used DocBook instead of LinuxDoc, DocBook is far better supported, a far
> wider schema, and it's much better maintained, by a far larger audience.

I don't understand how a doc parser could ever be kernel-dependent, so
you should be fine.  Have you tried?

Cheers,
Daniel