Dependency between Xorg and VideoBIOS

Eduard Fuchs edfuchs at uni-kassel.de
Mon Jul 14 06:45:28 PDT 2008

Hello,

Currently, I have a PowerPC embedded system with PCI Radeon 9200 PRO
graphic card (RV280) on it. At first, the Linux Kernel runs the
VideoBIOS during x86emu and init the PCI-card. After this, the kernel
radeonfb and the radeon driver from Xorg work very well.

Now we are making board redesign with new on-board graphic chip. Our
choice is ATI E2400, unfortunately without VideoBIOS. The question is -
how deep depends the Xorg on Video-BIOS?

We want try to init the E2400 during system boot (in u-boot or later in
linux kernel) thru pushing some init values in the chip's registers.

Where can I find some more information about this problem?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards

--
   Dr.-Ing. Zhivko Yordanov                Telefon:    +49 (561) 804-6596
   Universität Kassel                          Fax:    +49 (561) 804-6588
   Wilhelmshöher Allee 73                   E-Mail: jivkojj at uni-kassel.de
   34121 Kassel                     WWW: http://www.rs.eecs.uni-kassel.de
   Raum 2107               FG Rechnerarchitektur und Systemprogrammierung