Removal of XFree86-Misc

Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Wed Jul 16 12:42:32 PDT 2008

Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 08:30 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> Daniel Stone wrote:
>>>     XFree86: Remove XFree86-Misc extension
>>>
>>>     Its last remaining purpose in life has been destroyed by input
>>>     properties.  Au revoir: it's been fun, by which I mean awful.
>> Xscreensaver uses XF86MiscSetGrabKeysState() and whines every time
>> it blanks the screen if its configure found libXxf86misc but the
>> server doesn't advertise XFree86-Misc.    What should it be using
>> instead and has anyone sent a patch to jwz to use it?
>
> Well, if the xf86misc API for that is gone, we should at least not whine
> about it.  Attached patch should suppress the missing extension warning.
>
> In the absence of API to control Allow{Deactivate,Closedown}Grabs from
> the client side, I suggest we should take those options out of the
> config file entirely.  Input people, any opinions?
  I am not 100% sure, but I think the kde screensaver also uses it.

  That code is a plain hack, and was written because everyone complained
of Netscape and several other random apps dead locking (one window waiting
for input, and another grabing input). And I remember at least at that
time, switch to console worked (because it was not handled by xkb, so it
worked if xkb was desactivated, as well as Ctrl+Alt+Backspace), but killing
the locked application from a terminal, for some reason did not remove
the grab (and depending on what was grabbed/locked, running xkill from
the console did not work either).

  Nowadays not much people is working with this kind of logic in clients
(grabs/locks), and most of it can be debugged with Xnest/ssh.

  Still, maybe something more well thought should be done? Not having it is
almost like not being able to use ^C in a console, and we all know we hate
programs that trap/ignore ^C...

> - ajax
Paulo