testing strategy

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Sun Jul 20 09:05:53 PDT 2008

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 09:13:09PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
>> I got a suggestion a while back, that I could use dbus along with a dbus-enabled
>> xserver to be able to load & unload Xinput drivers.  I recently finished
>> rebuilding all of the Xorg stuff, so I would have my own server that my Xinput
>> module is built for.  Since then, I've become aware (at least, I've become
>> suspicious about) the possibility of running an xserver *in*a*window* on the
>> same machine, so I could run my own working xserver (where I run my terminals &
>> my editor sessions) and another different xserver, whose output goes to a
>> window, doesn't bother my pre-existing xserver, and lets me bring it up & take
>> it down independently for quick'n'easy Xinput driver testing (so I could also
>> get the Xorg.0.log on the little xserver).  Trouble on doing this is, I dunno
>> how, dunno what tools to use, nothing to even begin to investigate.  I don't
>> mind reading the docs (if there are any) but I need some suggestions on what the
>> tools are that I need, and if, in fact, what I want is at all possible.
>
> Not really.  Xephyr does that, but it's based on KDrive (hw/kdrive)
> rather than the Xorg DDX (hw/xfree86).  IOW, it's a trap.
>
> (Yes, they should be unified, and there's no reason why input is
> abstracted at that level instead of at the DIX, aside from the usual
> history.)

Man, I really, really hate asking questions before I've been able to do a
reasonable amount of reading.  It makes me feel like a freeloader.  But, that's
what xorg is forcing me into, one step after another.  In this one email, I just
spent the last half hour looking vainly for any hint as to what several
different terms might mean, with no luck at all.

What's a dix?  I *think* I saw the words "device independent Xserver), but I'm
not terribly sure what the actually means, what can this thing do?  Is any of it
ready to be used even by developers, yet?

Second, I never heard of a kdrive, and on this one, I can't even hazard the
least guess.  Same questions as above.

Lastly, xephyr.  I get it that, in conjunction somehow with kdrive, it's xome
sort of xserver.  I built all of Xorg successfully, but I can't find xephyr
anywhere under /usr/X11R7.4 (my X11BASE), so I need to go back, rebuild
everything, and see if I can either force an install, or maybe install it by
hand.  Is there any example anywhere, of a command line that installs xephyr,
and shows me how I have to go about setting up a config file for it, so I can
get my experimental driver installed on it?

I wonder, if the dix really is a defice independent Xserver, why would you need
a xephyr?  I don't mind it, just trying to understand how things hook together.

God, I really hate freeloading like this, so if you folks know of anything you
can think of which I should have read in advance of this, I'd really appreciate
being pointed that way.