Features for server 1.6

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Jul 21 19:48:02 PDT 2008

Question: do we have any plans for server 1.6? And if so - what are they?

Reason for asking is that we'd like to see input device properties in Fedora 11,
if not F10.
Currently, IDP rely on XI2, but they can be quite easily backported, made
non-dependent on XGE, and added to a (potential) X Input 1.5 release, without
changing the driver ABI*.

Hence the question: server 1.6 is it supposed to be more of a maintainance
release like 1.3, or will it be a katamari?

On the input front, the three big changes pending are currently:
- device properties
- XI2/MPX
- XKB2

The former two are in master. XI2 needs more work, and daniel has recently
argued in favour of ditching XI1 events and replacing them with XGE events.
I'm all for that, but it requires major changes that will delay XI2. XKB2 is
work pending, with an unknown state. Daniel, care to update us?

If server 1.6 will be a minor release, I'd be happy to backport device
properties.

Cheers,
  Peter

* actually, we could even backport it into server 1.5.1, but that'd lead to
1.5.1 supporting a different XI version than 1.5 ...