gtk+ and randr

Eric Piel E.A.B.Piel at tudelft.nl
Tue Jul 22 01:18:56 PDT 2008

Alex Deucher schreef:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Ben Gamari <ben at mw0.ath.cx> wrote:
>> On Intel hardware it seems to probe the outputs and re-acquire EDID
>> information, which in itself seems to usually cause loss of sync. It
>> seems this is what XRRGetScreenResources() is supposed to do so I really
>> don't see any way to avoid the cost.
>
> If you have monitors with EDIDs plugged into your connectors, then
> you're fine.  if you have nothing on one or more connectors or a
> monitor without an EDID, you may get flickering as the driver attempts
> to use load detection to sense the presence of a monitor since there
> is no EDID.
With my i965 and a monitor _with_ EDID connected to the VGA output, I do
get flickering (the screen turns black for one second). So, it seems the
flickering happens all the time. Is it a bug in the intel driver? Or
maybe it's because there is also a TV output? (that would be nasty
because the laptop don't even have the plug!)

Eric