Mesa: texture_from_pixmap outputs white patch

Mohan Parthasarathy suruti94 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 13:05:50 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Mohan Parthasarathy <suruti94 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:19 PM, Michel Dänzer <
> michel at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 12:11 -0700, Mohan Parthasarathy wrote:
>> >

>> > On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Michel Dänzer
>> > <michel at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
>> >         On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 10:23 -0700, Mohan Parthasarathy wrote:
>> >         >
>> >         >
>> >         >         >
>> >         >         >         Sounds like the X server crashed, if this
>> >         is
>> >         >         reproducible it
>> >         >         >         would be
>> >         >         >         good to track it down
>> >         >         >
>> >         >         > This can be reproduced by just running
>> >         texture_from_pixmap
>> >         >         in a tight
>> >         >         > loop. At least i can reproduce it.
>> >         >
>> >         >
>> >         >         Good, can you get a gdb backtrace from the X server
>> >         crash?
>> >         >
>> >         >
>> >         > gdb method does not seem to work as the process exits and i
>> >         have no
>> >         > trace in gdb. And after spending lot of time in settup up
>> >         core dumps
>> >         > on my machine, i have not been successful in getting a core
>> >         dump. I
>> >         > will try some more later today..
>> >

>> >         I usually attach gdb to the running X server process before
>> >         reproducing
>> >         a crash.
>> >

>> > That's what  i am doing too..
>> >

>> > (gdb) bt
>> > #0  0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
>> > #1  0xb7ccc39d in select () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
>> > #2  0x0812b79d in WaitForSomething (pClientsReady=0x83af6f8) at
>> > WaitFor.c:236
>> > #3  0x0808c00d in Dispatch () at dispatch.c:372
>> > #4  0x08071855 in main (argc=10, argv=0xbfa80ff4, envp=0x0) at
>> > main.c:415
>> > (gdb) c
>> > Continuing.
>> >
>> > Program exited with code 0377.
>> > (gdb) bt
>> > No stack.
>>
>> So this exit code 0377 (= 255) happens when you run texture_from_pixmap?
>>
> Yes.
>

>> Weird... Anything interesting in the X server's stderr output?
>>

> In the gdm log file,
>
> in RADEONProbeOutputModes
> *********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
> File r300_mem.c function r300_mem_alloc line 225
> Ran out of GART memory (for 1048576)!
> Please consider adjusting GARTSize option.
> Error: Could not get dma buffer... exiting
>
> I guess this explains everything..

I just want to clarify one thing. The test that i ran (runing
texture_from_pixmap) might be a little
artificial. But this bug happened at other normal times also. I am not an
expert at this code. So,
there may not be a simple fix as i think. Perhaps, somebody is already
working with a fix for this.
Let me know if we need to track this..

thanks
mohan