hotplug and fallback input devices

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Jul 30 03:05:47 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:20:19AM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 23:01:17 +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 09:09:05PM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > > The more I think about it the less I
> > > understand why turning AllowEmptyInput on implicitly is the right thing
> > > to do at all…
> >
> > Because I live in a dream world where people actually use hotplug,
> > rather than patch it out.
>
> I guess I just don't understand what removing the fallback devices
> fixes, it just makes things more fragile as far as I can see.  The
> hotplugged drivers should grab the devices anyway so the fallbacks would
> just be useless in that case, right?

In the specific case of evdev vs. kbd/mouse, yes.  It also causes people
to get really, really confused as to why they have all these unused
devices around.  'Ah well, you see, we expect the useful ones to fail,
so we just loaded these fallbacks assuming that hotplug will fail, and
on the off chance it somehow succeeded, they'd just kick the fallbacks
out anyway.'

Cheers,
Daniel