xorg on amd64

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Jul 31 17:18:53 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 07:56:32PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 07:06:01PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> >> Just wondering if there was an interest group for getting Xorg working
> >> completely on the amd64 (as a 64 bit kernel &libs) platform?  If so, do those
> >> folks have a separate list?  I'd love to find that, and read all the articles.
> >> I tried to get it building, immediately, there are some include dependency
> >> problems, probably more, and I'm curious if much work's been done on this?
> >
> > No, because it just works out of the box, and has for the past, er, five
> > years.
>
> Maybe I was not clear?  I wasn't interested in getting it to work out of the
> box, I was interested in building it.  If you gave me a 100% built and tested
> tarball, I'd only delete it.  I wanted to build it, and knowing that it hasn't
> got any build problems curretnly means (I guess) I can figoure out the build
> problems I'm seeing.  I didn't mean to accuse anyone of anything, just trying ot
> verify things so that I don't spend a bunch of time fising something that was
> well known.

It should and has built out of the box for about five years (at least,
as much as any other platform).  My main dev box was amd64 for quite
some time, and I know that to be true of quite a few others.  We don't
do portability the OpenSSH way, but every architecture we support works
out of the box.

What's the actual build problem you're encountering? Again, if you could
post some specifics (logs, exact errors), we could actually help
diagnose your problem.

Cheers,
Daniel