my Xinput module for the tablet

Peter Hutterer peter at cs.unisa.edu.au
Mon Jun 2 16:35:50 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 05:42:33PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> I have done all my demo usb stuff, to where the rest of my coding is associated
> solely with fitting it to Xorg, no longer getting it to talk to usb.  I
> downloaded a copy of all your sources, and I guess I will be satisfied with
> using the sources as the only documentation, as little as I like that, because
> ctags and vim make that less than impossible to use.  The only thing I need is
> some info on doing testing.

You're lacking a bit of context in your email. I gather you want to write an
input driver?

the current evdev driver is very easy to understand and gives you a good
structure on how input drivers look like. Additionally, there's
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/XorgInputHOWTO (which would
appreciate updating as you learn :)

> You see, when I did the usb stuff, getting test results were no problem at all,
> but now, with the uclogic_drv.so format, I haven't got any sort of idea how to
> go about doing testing, short of having to restart my X11 screens from start,
> and doing that as a boot.  That's going to be slow as hell while I work at small
> intermediate steps (which is the way I like to test driver-type software.
>
> Is there any method I'm innocently unaware of, that will allow me better testing?

yes. if you compile your x server with the dbus API enabled
(--enable-config-dbus at configure time) you can tell it at runtime to
add/remove devices. This is the easiest method to testing drivers.
Docs for the DBus API can be found in xserver/config/dbus-api.

Cheers,
  Peter