my Xinput module for the tablet

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Thu Jun 5 08:29:00 PDT 2008

Nicholas King wrote:
> Peter Hutterer wrote:
>> the current evdev driver is very easy to understand and gives you a good
>> structure on how input drivers look like. Additionally, there's
>> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/XorgInputHOWTO (which
>> would
>> appreciate updating as you learn :)

OK, I hadn't seen that page, it'll help.  My problem is one of finding the
standard way of doing things ... as an example (this is example only, I'm not
asking you to answer this, because I have 10 other questions, and I will ask
questions here only when I get really stuck) like, I wanted to have two kinds of
error prints, those that presage module failure, and those that only show up
when you ask for a verbose boot arraangement, but  ican't yet find out the call.
 I've been hunting thru various other drivers, because at least some of them
must do that.

> I found it easier when I was writing a touch screen driver for a serial
> interface to write it using the evdev interface in the kernel. I really
> should submit it but I wanted to clean it up a bit more.
>>> You see, when I did the usb stuff, getting test results were no
>>> problem at all,
>>> but now, with the uclogic_drv.so format, I haven't got any sort of
>>> idea how to
>>> go about doing testing, short of having to restart my X11 screens
>>> from start,
>>> and doing that as a boot.  That's going to be slow as hell while I
>>> work at small
>>> intermediate steps (which is the way I like to test driver-type
>>> software.
>>>
>>> Is there any method I'm innocently unaware of, that will allow me
>>> better testing?
>>>

>> yes. if you compile your x server with the dbus API enabled
>> (--enable-config-dbus at configure time) you can tell it at runtime to
>> add/remove devices. This is the easiest method to testing drivers.
>> Docs for the DBus API can be found in xserver/config/dbus-api.
>>
> When I was writing the driver I just used to load and unload the kernel
> module then do Crtl-Alt-Backspace to close the XServer and GDM was set
> to restart it :)

Maybe you like that, but I like to have 2-4 different pages full of different
vim instantiations open while I code, and opening them up just to shut them down
is a huge PITA, mainly to be avoided.  I am currently trying to get a good xorg
build going, so the method suggested above can be tested, sure hope  it works.