Wrapping up 7.4 (finally)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Jun 12 02:00:22 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:31:20AM +0100, Reece Dunn wrote:
> 2008/6/12 Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki at gmail.com>:
> > 2008/6/12 Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at freedesktop.org>:
> >> Good, centralized developer documentation is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Speaking of which, if you have any ideas how to better interlink and combine:
> > - http://dri.freedesktop.org/
> > - http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
> > - http://mesa3d.org/
> >
> > ...please don't hesitate updating the wikis. Both DRI and X.Org wikis
> > would benefit if someone would have time to rethink the front page
> > organization by grouping links under different titles and learning
> > moinmoin tables / colouring to bring some more clarity there. Both
> > wikis currently look like the typical wikis, ie. just braindump of
> > links with no thinking about the structure. And yes, I can do
> > something about those myself one day, but anyway there's lots of stuff
> > around to make more beautiful and therefore more accessible.
>
> I'd be happy to help, but don't currently have edit rights for the wiki pages.

If you're logged in, you should be able to edit pretty much every page
except for FrontPage.  If you send me your wiki username, you'll also be
able to edit FrontPage.

> For example, on the Xorg wiki, there is a line at the top of the page
> about important security updates for older releases, then at the
> bottom is essentially the same thing worded slightly differently with
> a different focus; these could be combined and made more promenant at
> the top of the page.
>
> Also, there is a nice table of Xorg versions with package version
> numbers on one of the pages, yet this information is duplicated on the
> release notes for each version; this could be consolidated and cleaned
> up.
>
> On the development side, it would be useful to have more of an idea of
> what projects are going on, what is planned and where new developers
> can join in. I would like to help (if I can), but only have limited
> knowledge/experience of building X, and don't know where to start. I
> know that Kristian Hogsberg (sorry if I got the spelling wrong) has a
> good entry on building a minimal X server, but can't remember where it
> is.

Høgsberg, and you're probably thinking of this:
http://hoegsberg.blogspot.com/2008/02/building-and-installing-drmdrix-stack.html

If you create a skeleton input section, I'm sure one or both of myself
and Peter will bosh it into some kind of shape.

> For people who find git daunting, there could be links to things like
> the everyday git tutorial.

Indeed.

Thanks for taking on this -- pretty much everything you've said is true,
just that no-one's got around to doing it.

Cheers,
Daniel