Wrapping up 7.4 (finally)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jun 13 06:14:34 PDT 2008

On Friday 13 June 2008, Daniel Stone wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:12:57PM -0300, pcpa at mandriva.com.br wrote:
>> BTW I think nouveau, open source, 3d enabled nvidia cards support, should
>> be available in 7.4, due to large amount of users with these cards...
>
>The nouveau driver will be included in a release when the nouveau
>developers ask for it to be included, rather than explicitly ask for it
>to not be included.
>
>Cheers,
>Daniel

The present difficulty in obtaining this driver is what sent me to town 6 months
ago for a better ATI card, which it turned out is not supported either, so I
reverted to a several year old ati card, which is working reasonably well if
somewhat slower than the nvidia cards ran with the binaries, till the kernel
people decided that nvidia will give us the stuff to write a driver, or no more
nvidia.

I can see the kernel peoples viewpoint, having personally observed too many
instances of odd, unstable behavior while running the binaries.  Not to mention
I can't let one of them anywhere near my milling machine due to the nvidia
blobs knocking out the IRQ's for many milliseconds when it has work to do.
Because its stepper driven, the pulses must be at a very steady rate when the
speed rise, and I went from 9 inchs a minute to nearly 35 just by reverting to
the vesa driver for an nvidia card.

I would like to try this new driver, particularly on that machine and would give
them feedback on how its working, but when its as hard to download and build it
as it is now, that is so not going to happen.

Tell these folks that hiding their code under a basket is not going to get it
tested in the real world.  Put it out there and let us play with it, and it
will be ready for prime time a lot faster.  The current situation is not, IMO,
justifiable.  Its either dead or its alive, napping in a locked closet doesn't
count.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)