hotplug example?

Peter Hutterer peter at cs.unisa.edu.au
Mon Jun 16 06:44:22 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 09:29:52AM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Could I get the name of any input driver that implements hotplugging via hal &
> dbus?  I need to implement this now in my driver, but I'm unclear (even in
> general terms) what it is I'm accomplishing.

Just look at xf86-input-evdev. The driver simply needs to clean up after
itself in UnInit and DeviceProc(..., DEVICE_CLOSE). The actual hotplugging is
done by the server, the driver doesn't really know if it's hotplugged or
started on init.

To get hotplug working, hal needs to send a notification to the xserver when
the device appears. xserver/config/x11-input.fdi has the magic for that, you
can change keys for your device to use a different driver.

If you can't use hal for some reason, you need to compile your server with
--enable-config-dbus and then send the appropriate commands (documented in
xserver/config/dbus-api).

Cheers,
  Peter