Opera and EXA: ``X Shared memory extension is not available''

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen eirik at opera.com
Mon Jun 23 02:45:50 PDT 2008

Juliusz Chroboczek <Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr> writes:

> Thanks for the info, Keith and Michel.  That's exactly what I need to
> file a bug report with the Opera crowd.  (Since your reply went to
> a public mailing list, I'm assuming I'm allowed to cite you.)

Thank you, that will be useful :)

>> If Opera requires this to work, it shouldn't be that hard to turn on
>> again.
>
> Just to set the record straight -- Opera works fine, it just complains
> at start-up.  Since I don't have the sources, I cannot check what exactly
> is being disabled.

I believe it was a performance hack for web pages with several layers
of partial transparency.  At the time we had an evil test case which
saw great speed-up with this hack.  If the shm stuff isn't available,
I'm sure we'll revert to ordinary rendering (that's basically what the
"error" message is about).  So nothing should break.

> I'll summarise the info the two of you (K and M) have given me, which
> I'll send to Opera.  Let's see what they have to say.

And you may get a slightly different answer from the people who
actually know this part of the code :)

eirik