Opera and EXA: ``X Shared memory extension is not available''

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen eirik at opera.com
Tue Jun 24 00:37:25 PDT 2008

Juliusz Chroboczek <Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr> writes:

> Thanks for your reply, Eirik.
>
>> And you may get a slightly different answer from the people who
>> actually know this part of the code :)
>
> Would you be so kind as to forward the following summary to whoever
> you think is the right person, then?

I think it is better if you make a bug report
(https://bugs.opera.com/wizard).  That's the only way to make sure it
will actually be handled correctly.

> Modern versions of the X.Org X server (running the EXA acceleration
> layer) remove support for shared memory pixmaps; no other functio-
> nality of the MIT-SHM extension is being deprecated, and support for
> shared memory images remains.
>
> Under such a configuration, Opera complains with the warning message
> ``X Shared memory extension is not available'', but appears to work
> fine.  As a quick web search will show you, this message worries
> a number of Opera users, and should be removed from end-user builds.
>
> Ideally, you ought to make sure that Opera's performance is not reduced
> by the lack of shared memory pixmaps, and use shared memory images if
> you find it desirable.
>
> Please feel free to request further clarification on the
> xorg at lists.freedesktop.org mailing list.

Looks very good to me :)

Actually, it might be a bit confusing trying to enter that in the bug
report wizard.  You'll see that it is designed for a different kind of
report.  You seem to have sufficient clue to be able work around such
problems, though :)

> Regards,
>
>                                         Juliusz Chroboczek
>
> (Who is looking forward to some other web browser becoming usable, so
> he can get rid of the one piece of proprietary software he's using. Fonts
> don't count, they're not software.)

I see we have our work cut out for us :)

eirik