Resolution indpendence

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at daimi.au.dk
Fri Jun 27 01:59:08 PDT 2008

"David De La Harpe Golden" <david.delaharpe.golden at gmail.com> writes:

> That reminds me - how is this handled for "new style" xrandr 1.2 merged
> desktops?
>
> One of the main reasons I run with two X different screens (not
> xinerama'd or anything...) is because my screens have quite different
> DPIs.
>
> IIRC, xinerama (and nvidia "twinview", bleurgh) used to unify the DPI,
> assuming the first screen's across all screens, which I hated.
>
> So, is there a real per-screen DPI setting now and it's just up to toolkits
> to make use of it or what?

X reports a DPI for screens, but with randr 1.2 and xinerama, one X
screen may be made up of several physical screens so DPI is basically
meaningless in that case. RandR 1.2 allows clients to just set
whatever it wants the DPI to be.

The upcoming GNOME will simply set it to 96.

RandR 1.2 also exposes the EDID information from the monitors and
toolkits could in principle make use of that information if they
wanted to.

Soren