Resolution indpendence

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Fri Jun 27 07:48:21 PDT 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Ven 27 juin 2008 16:10, Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen a écrit :
>
>> I want a high resolution monitor to get more screen real estate, not
>> to get better edge smoothing.  When we start approaching 300dpi
>> graphics pipelines, I will probably change my mind, but that's still
>> pretty far off it seems.
>
> OpenMoko will ship soonish with a ~ 250 dpi screen. OLPC has a pretty
> high res too. The software stack they use already needs to be
> compatible with high DPI screens. And its the same software stack as
> the rest of the desktop.

The Gnome stack works great with high DPI (my laptop LCD has 145, which
isn't that high, but it's significantly different from the assumed 96 to
cause problems in certain situations) that also includes GTK+
application that aren't tied into the Gnome desktop (firefox,
thunderbird etc). The only problem are webpages that have hardcoded font
sizes. Sometimes webpages are close to unreadable. I use font-size 7
throughout my Gnome desktop, but some webpages hardcode font-size 12 in
their css which causes everything to look huge. Other problems are when
webpages assume that a piece of text at 12pt will be xyz pixels wide.
But there are webpages that do it right and look no different then on my
96 DPI 24" display.
So everything is ready on the software side (at least in Gnome), what
needs to be fixed are the webpages.

tom