Further notes on 7.4

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Jun 30 16:20:50 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 04:11:52PM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> > I think all the reasons I raised in the core fonts mail still apply
> > here.  People bootstrapping from scratch have a hard life as it is, so I
> > think it makes sense to ease the load on our core audience of people
> > building on existing distributions, and just include one more
> > documentation point for people who already have to follow a lot of very
> > sketchy documentation.
>
> Yeah, I suppose that you're mostly right about who the people are who
> are building X and that they can keep using the X apps on their
> distro. What I'd like to see, though, is a clear data point that says
> "here are the tarballs for the core X installation, but you can get
> all the extra/legacy/whatever stuff here (link to
> releases/individual)". It sucks when something changes and the only
> notice is a message buried in mailing list archives.

Please, I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm against them writing
quality, easily-found documentation on our wiki. :)

> > Can Mesa package this then, preferably with the rest of its build system
> > (i.e. in its tarball)?  All yours, krh's and George's good work into
> > uncoupling our build systems thus far has been brilliant, thanks. :)
>
> If makedepend was a single C file, I'd feel more comfortable
> shoehorning it into mesa. But, you can certainly make GCC do the exact
> same thing with -M -MF. I don't know about other compilers, though,
> which is the hangup.

I dunno.  Either way, it just seems really strange for Mesa's build to
depend on something that only we provide, and even then it's very
undocumented.  Surely, if only one external project uses it for their
own home-grown buildsystem, it's better for them to maintain that in
there along with mklib and friends, and that way they can control it if
they need to change it as well?

Cheers,
Daniel