Constant DPI regardless of resolution

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Mon Jun 30 17:56:33 PDT 2008

After RTFM and Google, I can't seem to find a way to force xorg to use a
constant DPI value regardless of the current resolution.  It calculates
the DPI with the known formula (screen dimensions and resolution).  But
in my case, when changing resolution, the DFP (digital flat panel) is
set-up to simply keep the picture centered, with black borders around it
if the resolution is smaller than the DFP's native resolution.  The DPI
does not change (only the resolution changes.)

Starting X with "-dpi 86" also won't help; the DPI still changes after
switching resolution (starting in 1024x768 and then going 1280x1024 for
example results in huge fonts).  The desktop's environment (KDE in this
case) "Force 96DPI" is sub-optimal; my DFP is not 96DPI.

This is also an issue when running xorg in a virtual machine (the VM
window for example is 1024x768 while the monitor is running at
1280x1024).  Resizing the window changes the resolution but
unfortunately xorg also changes DPI even though it shouldn't.

If there is a way, how can I force a constant DPI regardless of resolution?