Constant DPI regardless of resolution

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Mon Jun 30 20:10:05 PDT 2008

David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>
>>  The DPI  does not change (only the resolution changes.)
>
> Terminology: DPI measures the resolution...

Sorry, I should have clarified; with "resolution" I mean the width and
height of the picture in pixels.  Changing those on a DFP that always
operates at a fixed native resolution won't change the DPI value (for
example when changing from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 the picture gets
smaller which means that the resolution actually stays the same; it's
still 1280x1024 but with black borders around a central picture of size
1024x768).

>> If there is a way, how can I force a constant DPI regardless of resolution?
>
> AFAIK the xrandr command line tool should allow you to override with
> --dpi  , given xrandr 1.2,  if you use it for mode changing rather than
> the GUI tools.
>
> If you're using nvidia at the moment you may not be able to do this,
> I dunno.

I'm on VESA for running natively and xf86-vmware for running in a VM.  I
was hoping for a "set and forget" option either in xorg's arguments or
xorg.conf rather than having to open the CLI and call xrandr each time I
switch resolution.