hal & xbacklight

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sat Mar 1 14:32:17 PST 2008

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 02:43:31PM +0100, Khashayar Naderehvandi wrote:

> Now, my questions are, why doesn't hal use the xbacklight utility? Are there
> any plans to add it? Is any such change by any chance trivial (read: can I go
> about changing this myself, without coding skills?)

xbacklight needs a connection to your X server, which hal doesn't have.
Using xbacklight also tends to confuse platform firmware which assumes
that it's in full control of the backlight - opregion support may help
here in the future, but right now vendors are still producing hardware
that will change the brightness without any notifications.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org