GSoC CM collaboration

Maarten Maathuis madman2003 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 11:01:52 PST 2008

On 3/2/08, Maarten Maathuis <madman2003 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/2/08, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Am 02.03.08, 19:14 +0100 schrieb Maarten Maathuis:
>  >
>  >
>  >  > What kind of color correction do you have in mind? (besides the usual
>  >  > gamma adjustment)
>  >
>  >
>  > Many colour transformations are CLUT based. This is in case of X a
>  >  3 dimensional table to interpolate from input to output. Additional
>  >  gamma and matix operations can play a role. But for LCD's more and more
>  >  CLUT's are used, as these devices are sometimes very non linear other than
>  >  CRT's.
>  >
>  >  The goal would be to make a colour transformation engine plugable, to
>  >  select based on speed, maturity, availablility and so on.
>  >
>  >
>  >  kind regards
>  >  Kai-Uwe Behrmann
>  >  --
>  >  developing for colour management
>  >  www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org
>  >
>  >

> If all you want is control of the LUT's, then i suggest you look at
>  randrproto. I'm not sure if it's perfect yet, but it should be
>  reasonable.

I thought i'd elaborate a bit. A randr-1.2 based driver (one that is
featurecomplete at least), exposes per crtc (this is not a physical
screen, but a framebuffer scan unit of which you typically have 2) lut
controls, these can be controlled from userspace. I don't see how you
couldn't make a color correction app with the current controls.