GSoC CM collaboration

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Mon Mar 3 09:59:50 PST 2008

Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 06:19:16PM +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

>>> You can have one window split on multiple monitors, you can have one
>>> window cloned on multiple monitors.  Dunno if you can have a
>>> combination of both, but I don't see why not.  Requires 3 simultaneous
>>> video outputs though, which is still rare nowadays.
>> This case should be covered by the _ICC_PROFILE in X spec. Current draft:
>> https://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=ICC_Profiles_in_X_Specification_0.3
>
> So the special atoms are attached to _root_ windows only, and not
> windows in general.  And they obviously don't specify the profiles for
> only their own contents but for all the subwindows too.  Makes more
> sense.

I was thinking more along these lines:
  - the root window specifies which profile the monitor uses
  - each window can specify in which profile its contents are

Then someone deep down the chain, I'm proposing the compositing manager,
would go and perform the appropriate transformations between the profiles.

It adds additional costs, that's true, but so does if every toolkit does
the transformation on its own! Also, you wouldn't have to run the shader
on every window, maybe only on those that have a profile specified on
their window and by that are showing that they care about the colors.

tom