modesetting xserver change breaks drivers...

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Mon Mar 3 14:42:03 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 14:09 +0200, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 06:57:20PM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 8:20 AM, Aaron Plattner <aplattner at nvidia.com> wrote:
> > > No X server with ABI 4 has yet been released, so no.
> >
> > I just want to make sure everyone is happy with only doing abi changes
> > once per release..
>
> Anything else is pretty insane, so yes.

I dunno, there are a lot of integers available.  I would prefer to see
an ABI bump per ABI change, and if the outside world only sees ABI 3 in
1.4 and ABI 7 in 1.5, who cares.  But then, I know I also get uselessly
grumpy when an ABI change that doesn't affect my driver makes me have to
rebuild, so I don't think I care enough to fight about it.

I think this is where someone comes in and tells us if we just use some
symbol versioning scheme instead we all get a pony for Christmas.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com