[RFC] MPX XInput Protocol extensions - big issues....

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Mar 3 15:30:02 PST 2008

Some comments:

Big questions:

How will we associate users with input devices?  We'll certainly be
dealing with input devices that can identify who is using them (e.g.
Diamond Touch, remote devices, etc.)

How will that interact with Eamon's security framework?

I can see (at least) two possibilities:
	1) events might include a field to identify who owns the device
	2) we might include the identity of the owner of the device as part of
the device on query, and identify whenever the owner of a device changes
as an event.

Should we introduce the user as a first class object?

How is this intended to work with ChangeWindowAccess?

Other question:

Xi's valuators lack names, so you don't know whether the first valuator
is "x", or "y", or "z", or "pressure", etc.  Are we intending to fix
this (major) oversight?  If so, how?

			Best regards,
                                - Jim

Jim Gettys