Xephyr for multiterminal

davor emard davoremard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 01:40:00 PST 2008

HI
Yes, we are using Xepyhr as application on top of hardware server
for multiterminal setups with cards that only one hardware X
server can bind to (all of them currently). Calling Xepyhr from gdm
needs a shell wrapper to implement -geometry that's source of many
problems (besides maintaing extra script, also runaway of forked Xephyr
from gdm process tracking, security issues etc).
-display would be really welcome
> You also mentioned something regarding -geometry. I heard from someone
> that -parent and -fullscreen combo could be useful to do what you want.
> The other option would be to use DevilsPie (but I never tested both).
For modern displays that use Xinerama setups and for using the same monitor
for 2 users we need somehow to enforce placement of second Xephyr to
non-origin (+0+0) location.
So e.g. for screen of 1280x800 we can't use fullscreen.
first Xephyr of 640x800 goes to +0+0
and second 640x800 goes to +640+0
I tried in vain with all options but the Xephyr always placed its window
to origin position so second overlapped the first when started from gdm
and therefore was unusable
to achieve the second I asked on this newsgroup and got the -geometry
patch last year (author of the patch suggested it should be added to
new git source).
Now I got Xephyr from debian unstable, versioned 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1
and -geometry is not there :( so I still have to apply patch manually
that's the newest for debian, for my amd64 on gentoo i can compile
newer Xephyr but it segfaults immediately I'm not the developer of
this to know all the tricks you know...