XReparentWindow: How to reparent windows that belong to other processes?

Thomas Schindler thomas.schindler71 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 06:28:13 PST 2008

Hello Everybody,

I failed to find any useful help in the web so far. I hope that this is the right list for questions regarding actual programming with native X Windows.

Here is the situation:
Two Linux applications, a container [1] and a client [2]. The container is a simple application it's soul purpose is to embed the main window of the client app. How can that be properly achieved with X Windows?
Are there any demo/sample applications that perhaps do something like this already?

Best regards,
Tom

PS:
[1] In Microsoft MFC terms: MDI App.