Current state of the art for networked 3D acceleration?

Dan B. Phung phung at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Mar 6 12:25:37 PST 2008

you can get indirect hardware accelerated rendering using AIGLX, just
get direct rendering enabled on your xserver, ssh with X forwarding, and
it should just work, though this route is pretty slow/laggy, e.g. can't
play quake, even over a LAN.  Another system that supports hardware
accelerated remote display is to use server side hardware accelerated
rendering where you read back the framebuffer on the server and send JPG
or video to your client.  VirtualGL supports sending JPGs, and with
TurboVNC, you have a complete solution where you can access your
desktop.  Playing quake on virtualgl/turbovnc isn't quite feasible yet
either.

-dan