Current state of the art for networked 3D acceleration?

Dan B. Phung phung at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Mar 7 07:26:23 PST 2008

Seb James wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 15:25 -0500, Dan B. Phung wrote:
>
>> you can get indirect hardware accelerated rendering using AIGLX, just
>> get direct rendering enabled on your xserver, ssh with X forwarding, and
>> it should just work, though this route is pretty slow/laggy, e.g. can't
>> play quake, even over a LAN.  Another system that supports hardware
>> accelerated remote display is to use server side hardware accelerated
>> rendering where you read back the framebuffer on the server and send JPG
>> or video to your client.  VirtualGL supports sending JPGs, and with
>> TurboVNC, you have a complete solution where you can access your
>> desktop.  Playing quake on virtualgl/turbovnc isn't quite feasible yet
>> either.
>>

> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I'd like to get indirect rendering working to test
> it. Right now I get no joy using ssh with X forwarding.

Does ssh with X forwarding work for normal applications, like xpdf?  as
I was told a couple of weeks back, AIGLX is simply GLX with hardware
acceleration enabled on your server, so also may sure you have Direct
Rendering on your server (thin client).

> Do I need to start the XServer on my thin client with any particular
> options? I think it should have built with AIGLX enabled by default (I
> built git-head about a week ago).

in the xserver configuration, you need:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Option          "AIGLX" "on"