evdev is horrible and I can't get rid of it

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 15:23:56 PST 2008

Jeffrey Baker wrote:
> I think all sane people could agree that evdev is terrible.  It makes
> your mouse not work right and the manual page is gibberish.  And yet,
> it's like the zombie xorg module that won't go away!  Even when I have
> Disable "evdev" in my Section "Module", somehow evdev still manages to
> load itself and ruin my pointing device.  Why is this?
> Is this a distribution problem or is this behavior built in?

In lieu of a ritual sacrifice I looked at the install notes for my
distribution, which say:

"If your XKB (keyboard settings) stopped working, you may uninstall
  this driver or move your XKB configuration.  Download an example from
  http://dev.gentoo.org/~compnerd/temp/hal-config-examples/
  (these will be installed with sys-apps/hal soon), and drop it into
  /etc/hal/fdi/policy/"

Your problem is with the mouse rather than the kb, but you might look
thru /etc/hal for anything to do with evdev.  There is virtually nil
in my /etc/hal/, and my xorg server doesn't attempt to load evdev.