evdev is horrible and I can't get rid of it

Eugene roginovicci at nm.ru
Mon Mar 10 07:01:37 PDT 2008

On Monday 10 March 2008 16:50:19 Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 19:20 -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >  The version in master, however, appears to work.
> >
> > I was looking over the changes, and one thing that seems like it will
> > cause problems is defaulting XkbRules to "xfree86". Most people will
> > not have this with recent xkeyboard-config. "base" or "xorg" would
> > probably be better.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> You are correct indeed.  It ends up mattering less since hal will set
> input.xkb.rules, but we should get it right in the driver anyway.

And that's will totally kill multiseat configuration. I'm using multiseat
since 6.9 release. That was the first release when evdev is appeared. 7.1
release introduced claver evdev driver which could identify the physical
device (keyboard and mice) whith options     Option "Name"     Option "Phys".
nowdays evdev become dump understanding only Option "Device" . That's OK for
normal singleseat configuration, but if you want to have two separate working
place with the single desktop you should disable autodetection by adding
Option      "AutoAddDevices"    "false" - string into server layout section.
Since No one knows how to separate keyboards through hal daemon rules.
If XkbRules will be away I think I will lost my multiseat and that's makes me
unhappy :( ...