how to disable gathering Display dimensions in xorg 7.3

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Mar 10 23:57:15 PDT 2008

Le mardi 11 mars 2008 à 00:06 +0100, Nicolas George a écrit :
> Hi.
>
> While I fully agree with your position, there is something in this thread I
> do not understand:
>
> Le primidi 21 ventôse, an CCXVI, Nicolas Mailhot a écrit :
> > a physical text size invariant (that the new xorg gives you)
>
> Why does everyone keep saying that this behavior is new?

Because:
1. we now detect DisplaySize for more hardware instead of assuming a
fixed size
2. randr drivers broke DisplaSize calculation for yet more hardware that
used to work
3. after years of user complains GNOME finally stopped overriding xorg
dpi calculation with a fixed 96dpi value and started using it directly
(though 96dpi proponents have been quick to seize on all the bugs this
exposed to mount a campaign to go back, while KDE has proved for years
that dynamic dpi calculation could work hassle-free as long as you
taught your app authors not to make stupid assumptions)

>  As far as I
> remember, automatic detection of the physical screen has been supported for
> years, at least with most combinations of hardware I experienced. And it was
> correctly taken into account by applications using Xft.

But Owen Taylor was quick to get this overrided Red Hat and GNOME side
several years ago.

--
Nicolas Mailhot