input-evdev patch adding option to override XDevice type Atom, option to force EV_REL events being treated as absolute values.

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Mar 11 08:57:17 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:54:37PM +0200, Daniel Stone wrote:
> [Greg, xorg@ is subscribers-only, so you'll get a bounce; sorry in
>  advance for the noise.]

No need, I'm on the list :)

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:13:15AM +0100, Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 11. M?rz 2008 schrieb Daniel Stone:
> > > The problem is that we don't want to encourage people to fix up
> > > this kind of insanity in the evdev driver.
> >
> > And GKH tries to get rid of all quirks in the kernel, that's gonna be
> > a circular dependency :-)

I said that?  Where?  Under what circumstances?

> > I can already see his argumentation: "Do it in the user space. A
> > program that uses event interface might so it just like this:
> >
> > if( EV_ABS == ev.type ||
> >     quirks_rel_absolute && EV_REL == ev.type ) {
> >         ProcessAbsEvent(device, ev);
> > } else if ( EV_REL == ev.type ) {
> > /* ... */
> > }
>
> Greg, true?  (Background: Some devices send REL events when they really
> mean to send ABS.  Wolfgang suggested an option in xf86-input-evdev,
> whereas I suggested that the kernel should just have a quirk table based
> on vendor/device ID to deal with this itself and send correct events to
> _all_ of userspace, not just Xorg.)

Ugh, hardware really is broken at times, isn't it :(

I have no objection to fixing up this kind of mess in the kernel, as
it's going to be other things than just X that needs the fix.  Are you
sure we don't already handle such quirks today in the kernel?  We have a
lot of other ones in there already...

thanks,

greg k-h