Intel ( i845G ) profiling

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Wed Mar 12 21:25:52 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 16:54 -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:

> > > Untested patch is up at:
> > > git://people.freedesktop.org/~anholt/xf86-video-intel i845-render-fix
> >
> > Cool. Thanks :)
> >
> > What are the pre-requisites for this branch to build? I've built libdrm,
> > mesa, xserver, libX11, cairo & pixman from today's git. But building the
> > i845-render-fix branch of xf86-video-intel I get:
>
> What, you want the patches I give you to actually compile? :P
>
> New version pushed that's less broken, but with the same level of
> guarantees as before (meaning: none)

Wow! That makes a big difference. EXA without a compositing manager is
now quite fast. It's not as fast as XAA, but it's a *whole* lot better
than before, and certainly usable. With xcompmgr it's also very good -
this combo was previously completely unusable. With ecomorph ( compiz
port ) it's a lot better than before ( before it was ridiculously
slow ), but it's not _quite_ fast enough to call 'snappy'. Anyway, it's
a huge improvement on before :)

I had to downgrade to xserver-1.4 and mesa-7.0.2 because my git build of
these would lock hard on startup ( with any version of
xf86-video-intel ). Oh well ...

I've tested for about 2 hours now, and haven't had any problems.

I've done another round of profiling, with expedite and our internal CRM
package, both with & without ecomorph running. The results are at:
http://entropy.homelinux.org/i845_render_fix_benchmarking.tar.bz2
My original results ( with the latest released driver ) are still at:
http://entropy.homelinux.org/intel_benchmarking.tar.bz2

Thanks again for working on this :)

--
Daniel Kasak