[patch] Re: HAL and hotplugging

Magnus Vigerlöf Magnus.Vigerlof at home.se
Sun Mar 16 10:43:44 PDT 2008

On söndag 16 mars 2008, Sascha Hlusiak wrote:
> > Are there any existing thoughts on how to handle these kinds of devices
> > in a reliably way? Or is the work I've done on the XInputHotplugger
> > daemon [2] the only work that has, so far, addressed this?
>
> I think a userspace daemon is the way to go. But I think this should be
> integrated into the desktop such as KDE or Gnome.
> Their HAL daemon should recognize a new input device, shows options to
> configure it and adds it to the server via dbus, if the user wants to.

Yes, it must be integrated into the desktop or this whole daemon is becoming
quite pointless fast.. :) My idea of integration is to host the hotplugger
daemon as an application on fd.o and provide a D-Bus interface for different
desktops to be used for integration.

> So static fdi files for static devices like mice and keyboards, and a
> daemon for the rest.

Fair enough. The daemon has to handle all devices though. I've tried to only
let the daemon handle the wacom devices and was unable to figure out which
devices that was connected to which driver when the daemon started. But all
options for the mice/keyboards can be from the fdi-files even if it
add/remove them too.

Cheers
  Magnus