[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.2.99.902

Rui Tiago Cação Matos tiagomatos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 09:00:47 PDT 2008

On 31/03/2008, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
>  Sorry for the mail-flood, I did another profile, profiling gmail in
>  firefox, which is scrolling slow when the "head" is visible (search,
>  search web, ...).
>
>  256483   29.1384  libexa.so                libexa.so                (no symbols)
>  160120   18.1908  no-vmlinux               no-vmlinux               (no symbols)
>  114434   13.0006  libc-2.7.90.so           libc-2.7.90.so           memcpy
>  58861     6.6871  libxul.so                libxul.so                (no symbols)
>
>  again, libexa eats up a lot of cycles.
>  Any idea what exa is doing here?

This gmail problem is very common and FWIW also happens using nvidia's
blob. Ironically its quite smooth if you run gmail under firefox under
windows on a virtual machine on your linux host. I think this is a
pretty big low hanging apple waiting to be harvested by whomever has
the right tools / understanding of the code paths involved :-)

Rui