Failed to initialize GLX extension

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Tue May 6 04:34:27 PDT 2008

Sounds like either the nvidia drivers are not installed properly, or
you have them installed but aren't using the 'nvidia' driver in
your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

In either case, support problems with binary drivers really don't
belong on this list but should be asked in the appropriate forum for
your distribution (or asked on an nvidia specific forum).  I would
suggest looking for help here:

http://suseforums.net/
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Adam

On Tue, 6 May 2008 04:00:58 -0700
"GİZEM İNCİ" <gizem.inci at std.yeditepe.edu.tr> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I'm using opensuse 10.3 and Linux operating system is
> 2.6.22.5-31-default
>
> I tried to use 3D application of my system, for that I installed
> compiz but it doesn't work then I want it to uninstal using the
> commends;
>
> init 3
>
> rpm -qa '*compiz*'
> rpm -e <package list from the above command>
> sax2 -a
> gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz
> rm -rf /home/.../.config/compiz
> init 5
>
> but after that I couldn't reach grafic mode.
>
> when I try init 5 it says that runlevel 5 hasbeen reached but nothing
> changed.
>
> when I write startx
>
> it says that:
>
> ERROR: Failed to initialize GLX extension
>            (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
>

> Fatal server error:
> no GLX visuals available
>
> WHAT SHOULD I DO TO FIX THIS PROBLEM?