Xprt does not play well with D-BUS

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon May 12 10:57:25 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 16:00 +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:00:02PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 22:44 +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > > Let me know if you want more details.  I'm in the mood for a flamewar ;-)
> >
> > Potentially more timely is that we now have more than one credible API
> > which draw to both the display and printers, so anyone using X for
> > printing should feel so embarrassed that they either rewrite their
> > applications or hide in shame.
> >
> > It's almost like I've been fighting against Xprt for twenty years. Oh
> > wait, it's been *more than that*.
>
> This isn't even the point though.  My personal opinions on Xprt
> notwithstanding, the thing is that everything we do breaks Xprt, which
> is bad for both of us.  We're burdened with Xprt and a pile of hacks
> (and sometimes figuring out what those hacks should be) to make it work,
> and the Xprt guys are burdened with a perpetually broken Xprt in master.
> At this point, I'm pretty sure splitting Xprt out of the main tree would
> be a win for everyone.

Your wish is my command.

% git clone git+ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xprint

Contains a server repo as of a few minutes ago, with all the other DDXes
deleted, and a rough hack at making the buildsystem work.  Please do all
further Xprint work from there, and not from xserver.

Expect hw/xprint/ to disappear from xserver very soon.

- ajax